What to Know About Workers Compensation
If you sustained an injury while on the job, you might benefit from consulting with a West Palm Beach Florida workers compensation lawyer from Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt. Our legal team has been devoted to protecting the rights of working people for more than 200 years of combined service to our clients.
It is the legal right of an employee to receive workers compensation benefits for a work related injury or illness. The laws associated with workers compensation can vary by state. However, the overall goal is to cover medical costs and wage loss in the event of a job injury. Due to the many variables involved in eligibility, employees often choose to hire a West Palm Beach Florida workers compensation lawyer from Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt to oversee their claim.
Below are answers to common questions that many employees ask during the injury claim process:
Who Pays for Workers Compensation Benefits?
Many people believe the state pays for workers compensation benefits. However, it is actually your employer who is required by law to maintain a workers compensation insurance.
Can I Be Fired Due to Receiving Benefits?
The general rule is if you are disabled temporarily on workers compensation, your employer cannot retaliate by terminating your employment or laying you off. Your employer may choose to find a replacement in the event you already know you will not be returning to your job because of the injuries.
What If I Am Unable to Return to My Job?
Depending on your state, your employer may be able to offer you modified work or a different position with possibly lesser pay. If there is not a reasonable alternative job available, your employer will likely give you benefits for vocational rehabilitation. This is designed to help you get back into the workforce through job placement or training for another occupation. However, a workers compensation lawyer in West Palm Beach Florida can inform you of your rights as they apply to your uni
What are the Symptoms of an Industrial Injury/Illness?
There are injuries that can occur while on the job, but go overlooked by an employee for a long period of time. Symptoms of industrial injuries can include:
- Hearing Loss: due to frequent exposure to loud noises over a long time period.
- Heart Attack: work pressure or immense stress from your job may still have effects later down the line.
- Hand Injuries: wrist pain, nerve damages or carpal tunnel due to repetitive hand movements.
- Lung Problems: industrial chemicals that are exposed to employees can cause damage to lungs and result in breathing difficulties.
- Back Pain: due to lifting heavy items or too much physical exertion.
- Eye Injuries: eye strain and irritants in the air can damage vision.
Many employees choose to hire a West Palm Beach Florida workers compensation lawyer from the Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt if they feel their employer mishandled their injury claim or they are not receiving full benefits. If you feel as though your employer has retaliated against you due to filing a workers compensation claim, consider consulting a West Palm Beach Florida workers compensation lawyer as your rights may have been violated.
Workers Compensation Lawyer West Palm Beach Florida Respects
Please call us today at (561) 616-3800 to receive a free injury case evaluation with a West Palm Beach Florida workers compensation lawyer from Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt.
Common Workers Compensation Claims to Avoid
Getting injured at work can be devastating. However, the steps you take immediately afterward can affect your workers compensation benefits. Here are some common mistakes you should avoid:
- Waiting Too Long to Report the Accident: When you suffer an accident at work, it can be overwhelming. You may need some time to regain your composure. However, you shouldn’t wait too long to report the accident to your employer. In Florida, you only have 30 days to report a workplace accident. Tell your boss when and where the accident occurred.
- Not Hiring an Experienced Lawyer: If you have suffered an injury at work, it’s in your best interest to hire a West Palm Beach Florida workers compensation lawyer. He or she can help you fill out your claim without any errors and improve your chances of obtaining fair compensation. A skilled workers compensation lawyer has handled many similar cases and will know exactly what to expect. With a confident lawyer on your side, you will have a peace of mind about your situation.
- Failing to Seek Immediate Medical Care: Some workers may not feel pain after a work accident and avoid seeing a doctor. However, you should understand that some injuries, like whiplash or concussions, don’t always present symptoms right away. If you don’t seek immediate medical attention, you can put your health at risk. Your employer may also reject your claim. They can argue that you aren’t truly hurt if you didn’t see a doctor right away.
- Not Listening to Your Doctor’s Orders: After evaluating your injury, your doctor will recommend the best treatment. It’s important to take your doctor’s orders seriously for your recovery’s sake. If your doctor suggests going to physical therapy, you should attend all the appointments. If you get caught stopping your treatment early, you might not receive your workers compensation benefits.
- Agreeing to a Settlement Without Question: If you file a workers compensation claim, your employer’s insurance company may try to offer you a settlement right away. However, don’t accept it without getting it reviewed by a West Palm Beach Florida workers compensation lawyer first.
- Returning to Work Too Soon: If you start feeling better sooner than expected, you may be tempted to go back to work. Lying on the couch all day can get old fast. However, if you go back to work before your doctor’s approval, you risk reinjuring yourself.
“First time going through anything like this but i’m glad I called these guys.. They hit every expectation above and beyond.. Amazing outcome, fair timing, Great People HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Thanks Judd, Lisa and Kim!!!!”