What are my medical treatment options for workers’ compensation?
If you were hurt while on the job, contact our West Palm Beach workers’ compensation attorney to learn how we can protect your rights in the wake of a serious injury. Your employer and their insurance carrier may not tell you everything you need to know because they have their own best interests to protect. The Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt has helped thousands of injured workers in Florida get the benefits they deserve. Call us immediately if you suffered a serious injury while performing your job. If our West Palm Beach workers’ compensation attorney can negotiate a better deal for you, we will tell you. Contact us before agreeing to the benefits package offered to you.
Am I allowed to go to a doctor of my choice for treatment of my workplace injury?
In some states, you are required to get treatment by a physician that is approved by your employer or their workers’ compensation insurance carrier. In other states, you are permitted to seek treatment from your existing physician or one of your choice as long as they are within the accepted network of medical professionals approved of by your employer or their workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
How are medical expenses handled with workers’ compensation benefits?
In terms of a deductible, you will not have to pay one as long as the medical expense is reasonable and necessary. In fact, your workers’ compensation benefits should cover any reasonable and necessary medical treatment associated with your workplace injury. If you must travel to another city to get the care you need, you should also qualify for your mileage expenses and parking fees. In many cases, this works out well for the employee, but in cases where the injury is one of a catastrophic nature, you may be wise to research your options by talking with a seasoned workers’ compensation attorney in West Palm Beach.
Does my employer have the right to force me to undergo a medical evaluation?
By law, your employer or their workers’ compensation insurance carrier has the right to require you to submit to a medical evaluation by their designated independent medical examiner (IME). If you refuse to comply, you may be subject to forfeiture of your workers’ compensation benefits. Though the IME is supposed to be objective in their evaluation of your workplace injury, they are paid by the workers’ compensation insurance carrier and so they often have a built-in bias.
When you hire a West Palm Beach workers’ compensation attorney from our firm, if the IME’s diagnosis results in significantly less benefits or a denial of your claim, our recommended physician can examine your injury. If their diagnosis differs from the IME, we will include their testimony in our claim as a rebuttal. If we end up escalating your claim to a lawsuit, we can call on our physician as a witness in court.
Why Workers’ Compensation Might Be The Right Decision
As your trusted West Palm Beach workers’ compensation attorney understands, applying for workers’ compensation can be a crucial decision in various situations, providing financial and medical support to employees who have suffered work-related injuries or illnesses. For help, give the Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt a call to see what we can do for you.
- Work-Related Injuries: When an employee sustains an injury while performing their job duties, seeking workers’ compensation is often the most practical choice. This includes accidents like slips and falls, machinery mishaps, or lifting injuries. Applying for workers’ compensation ensures that the injured worker receives necessary medical treatment and financial support during their recovery.
- Occupational Illnesses: Many workers are exposed to hazardous substances or environments that can lead to occupational illnesses over time, such as asbestos exposure causing mesothelioma or repetitive stress injuries from typing. In such cases, applying for workers’ compensation is vital, as it covers not only medical expenses but also provides compensation for lost wages when the illness prevents the employee from working.
- Medical Expenses: The cost of medical treatment, surgeries, therapy, and medications can be overwhelming. Workers’ compensation helps employees afford these necessary medical services. By applying, injured workers can ensure they receive prompt medical attention without worrying about the financial burden.
- Lost Wages: A work-related injury or illness can result in temporary or permanent disability, making it impossible for the employee to perform their job. Workers’ compensation provides a portion of the employee’s salary during their recovery or, in severe cases, for the rest of their life. This financial support is essential to maintain the injured worker’s quality of life and cover daily living expenses.
- Rehabilitation and Retraining: In some cases, an injury may leave an employee unable to return to their previous job. Workers’ compensation may offer vocational rehabilitation and retraining programs to help them acquire new skills and transition into a different role or industry. This support is crucial for the long-term employability of the injured worker.
- Legal Protections: Your West Palm Beach workers’ compensation attorney understands that applying for workers’ compensation also safeguards the employee’s legal rights. It ensures that they are protected from potential retaliation or discrimination by their employer for seeking compensation. Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system in most cases, meaning that employees are entitled to benefits regardless of who was at fault for the injury or illness.
- Peace of Mind: Dealing with the aftermath of a work-related injury or illness can be emotionally and mentally challenging. Workers’ compensation provides peace of mind by offering a structured and established process for receiving benefits. This allows the injured worker to focus on their recovery without the added stress of financial insecurity.
Applying for workers’ compensation is a prudent decision in various scenarios where an employee has suffered a work-related injury or illness. It serves as a safety net, ensuring that injured workers receive the medical care they need and financial support during their recovery or rehabilitation. Additionally, it protects their legal rights and provides essential assistance to their dependents in the event of a fatal accident. Ultimately, workers’ compensation plays a vital role in promoting workplace safety and ensuring the well-being of employees across different industries and professions. When you need help with your workers’ compensation claim, reach out to a trusted West Palm Beach workers’ compensation attorney from Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt.
Contact Us Today
Call the Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt to schedule a free and confidential consultation with a West Palm Beach workers’ compensation attorney who will provide you with invaluable insight about your case and your viable legal options.
“I want to thank Lisa, Kim and Eric for their great work in getting my settlememt completed. They where always there if I needed anything or had a question. I would highly recommend them if you need help with a Workers Comp Case. Again thanks for your professionalism and hard work. “