Workers’ Comp When You Live and Work in Different States

Workers’ compensation is a system in the United States where employees who are injured while working are entitled to have their injury-related expenses compensated. However, many people do not fully understand how the system works. If you are like most people, you probably do not think you will ever need to make use of workers’ comp. It is important to know what to do if you are ever injured while on the job. This short guide will tackle one of the most common, but important questions: “What if you work and live in different states? Where do you apply for workers’ comp?”

Where to Apply

If you live in a different state than the one you work in, it may be confusing where you apply for workers’ comp. No matter what, you always need to apply in the state you work in. The state you live in does not impact the process in any way.

There are two different workers’ comp systems. Some states use one system, while other states use the other. These systems are:

  • State-run workers’ comp
  • Privately run workers’ comp

In states where workers’ comp is run by the state, the system is very simple. Employers file claims with the state and benefits come directly from the government. In states where workers’ comp is provided by private companies, things are a little more complicated. It works similarly to private insurance companies. However, in these states, employers are legally required to receive workers’ comp from some company, although they do have the ability to choose from among the options.

Because you live in a different state than the one you work in, you may not know which system your work employs. This should be the first thing you determine.

How to Apply

The act of applying for workers’ comp is very simple. The system your state uses does not actually impact your part in the process. You simply need to report your injury to your employer. After that, it is your employer’s responsibility to file the claim and do whatever is necessary to make it go through. The exact requirements your employer has varied from one state to the next. Your employer will likely need you to sign some paperwork. You should follow your employer’s directions to receive the benefits you are entitled to.

If you wait too long to report the injury to your employer, you may not be able to file a claim. If you suspect your rights are being violated in any way, speak with a workers’ comp attorney, like a workers compensation Attorneys in Milwaukee, WI, today.

Thank you to Hickey & Turim SC for their input into personal injury law.